Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Diabetes, what a scare

Update for fam & friends.

First, Jack. Jack has been sick since last Thursday. It started as what I thought was strep (since I had strep), then that evening, I knew it was something else....YUCK. Jacks first encounter with vomit. Not just vomit....the kind that comes out your nose. Now I dont know about you, but I HATE throwing up more than anything....and if it came out my nose....oh, I'd want to die! Luckily for him it was just the one time. Then came the diarrhea. Lots of diarrhea. Every morning it was a race to get him out of his bed and hosed off in the shower, and get his bedding (not such the big deal) and bunny (the big deal) cleaned in time for for his nap. The kid will NOT sleep with out his bunny....and since it looked like it too had diarrhea, it was imperative that the bunny "take a bath." With all this crap going on, Jacks sugars have been SO out of whack! Monday was a BAD day. I could NOT get his blood sugar up. After breakfast he said he needed juice, so I check him...55. Ok, no prob, weve been here before...give the kid some juice. Well, 4 or 5 juices later his blood sugar was finally barely over 100 (YEA!) and the kid was SICK of juice....this also made his diarrhea worse! Again, after lunch as I was putting him down for a nap he tells me he needs juice....I check and sure enough, he was low again. And again it was the same charade. I could NOT get it up. He ended up having no nap b/c we spent 2.5 hours trying to get his blood sugar up. Dinner time he was ok, and before we went to bed, we checked him again....now this one about knocked us over. 36. 36!! 36 is the LOWEST blood sugar we have ever had. Now we not only had to get the kid to drink juice, and lots of it, but we also had to wake him up. He was so cranky and just didnt want to drink. Craig had bought Hershey bar...he wouldnt eat it.....he also bought some sugary gel by Hubba Bubba. He finally took some of it, and liked the fact that it was sour. Oh, and we tried soda...but he said it was, get this, "spicy" must have been the carbonation. We didnt know what to do. Craig was wishing we had IV supplies at home so I could just start an IV on the kid and infuse dextrose in his veins. After 36 and a long slow recovery, we called his doctor. Its been kinda great. Yesterday and today he has only had 1 shot of insulin at meal time (he usually has a shot at every meal) but since hes been dropping so much, the doc had us only give him a tiny amount if he was over 250. I dont know what this GI bug has done to him....we were thinking it would be great if a virus reversed this disease...not a chance, but boy, wouldnt that be nice. Anyways, today he was high...and I have never been so relieved to see a high blood sugar. Whew. And also, Im so proud of Jack. This is what he said this morning as we were watching toons, "I need a juice. I feel funny." Unprompted. This is the first time he has ever put the words I feel funny with how he was feeling. Sure enough, he was a little low...but nothing like the other day. SCARY! But, hes getting over this GI bug and his sugars have been high all day, looks like we will be back to injections tomorrow.

Sophia: she is growing. Not really doing much on her own, you know, eat, sleep, poop, cry demanding milk. But she is starting to really coo. Its so cute. Her most active time is in the evenings. We just cant wait to see what her personality is like.

All in all, we are doing good here.

1 comment:

schaiblejen said...

Oh gosh jess!! I am thinking about you!! I know it must be so stressful! but I think that was really good that Jack is starting to recognize his highs and lows... Hang in there!!